Friday, January 10, 2014

THEATRE ROYAL - 1969



On Nov. 3, 1969, a blaze at Glasgow's Theatre Royal claimed the life of fireman Archie McLay, according to the Evening Times.

The fire brigade turned to high expansion foam to flood the basement and extinguish the flames, which burned for 10 hours.

At the time, the building housed studios of Scottish television.

According to STV:

The fireman fell through a trapdoor in the building and was unable to activate his BA distress warning system.

Another firefighter who attended the blaze, John Jamieson, went on to invent an automatic Distress Signal Unit (DSU) for firefighters which would go off if they stopped moving for 30 seconds.